Friday, November 21, 2008

When ads look good but don't work

I've just finished reading a piece on the billboards used by various parties during our recent election campaign here in NZ.

I couldn't believe what I was reading, to be honest ... high praise, even from offshore, in regards to the Green Party's "Vote for Me" executions. DDB Vancouver chief executive officer, Alan Russell is quoted as saying: "It's so damn simple". It was named best outdoor work submitted to bestadsontv.com in the week to October 21.

Now, while I agree that they looked great on the roadside, I have to ask the question .. what is the purpose of advertising/billboards/posters? Surely it's to get a response?

Now, while the Green Party's message may have looked good, did it really do the job? Personally, I don't believe it did ... otherwise why didn't they achieve a higher percentage of the votes!

Just my two cents worth, but I honestly believe that, no matter how good an ad looks, if it doesn't get a response, it ain't worth the paper it's printed on!

No comments: