Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Sick of lies and BS ....!

As a publisher, I pride myself on integrity ...

Integrity in which I publish, integrity in articles I personally write, integrity in my dealings with advertisers.

Today I had something relayed to me which horrified me. I was quoted distribution and readership figures of a magazine I know very well by a potential advertiser.

To say that the figures had been inflated beyond believe is an understatement!

I know for a fact that the magazine in question prints less than 6,000 copies every quarter. Yet, this publisher is out there telling potential advertisers that they have a readership of nearly half a million per issue ... read my lips .... read these words .. half a bloody million!!!

Rupert Murdoch ... eat your heart out!

What a crock of bull. To say that each magazine is read something like 83.33 times is akin to fantasy.

Yet, this particular publisher's advertising reps are sprouting this crap and it's being swallowed.

Then publishers like myself, who report honest to God figures, suffer ... I mean honestly, who'd want to advertise in my publications that have an average readership of only 12-15 per copy when they can get 83.33 with my competition???

So, now the big question is ... what to do about it?
This publisher is a member of the MPA ... do I complain to them?
Do I tell the advertisers in question what I know and how they're being conned?
Do I confront the publisher in question, who happens to be a personal friend?

mmmmm ... time to do some serious pondering, methinks, but something has to change!

No comments: